Do you have a favorite meal or two that you have tried really hard to get down pat at home with your own family? My mama’s southern tomato gravy and biscuits is one of those recipes for me. I have had biscuit making down for quite some time, but it’s only recently that I have been able to cook up my mama’s tomato gravy and get that nostalgic, just-like-mama-used-to-make feeling when I savor that first bite.
Can you taste it?
I’m sharing this favorite recipe with you today in hopes of introducing you to a new kind of meal as well as presenting you with an easy breakfast, lunch, or dinner option to add to your meal planning rotation.
gluten free baking flour
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
8 slices bacon, cooked (save drippings)
Preparation Instructions for Mama’s Southern Tomato Gravy
- Fry bacon in large skillet. Set aside.
- Pour bacon drippings into a heat proof bowl or container. Measure 2 to 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings back into pan.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons gluten free baking flour to drippings. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir often over low-medium heat until flour begins to turn brown.
- Drain both cans of tomatoes into pan. Whisk.
- Add about 1 1/2 cups water and whisk again until smooth.
- Once the gravy begins to thicken, dump both cans of tomatoes into pan, stir well, and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the biscuits, I followed the above recipe, only subbing in gluten free baking flour to be sure our biscuits were allergy-friendly for our family. They turned out to be delicious! Of course, I expected nothing less from Alton Brown. 🙂
To complete the meal scramble some eggs, add to a pretty plate with biscuits, bacon, and tomato gravy, and serve with orange juice to drink.
Voila! Breakfast for dinner.
Need more awesome breakfast ideas? Check out this DIY Breakfast Station to streamline your breakfasts and your mornings every day!
Are you the parent, grandparent, sibling, or friend of a person on the autism spectrum? To connect with families who are taking the autism journey with you, come on over and check out our community page on Facebook. We would love to meet you and your family!